grout color dilemma

13 Dec

ok real quick..

I’m having trouble deciding on a grout color.

backsplash-samples

White on white pretty much blends and doesn’t really showcase the subway pattern. But then again I like that it won’t compete with our busy granite.

bowerpower

bower power’s previous kitchen

backsplash-samples - Copy

My other option was to pull a color from the granite like a light gray or beige.

New House 2010-11 022

like this kitchen over on Some Really Neat Stuff

cottage-kitchen-l

photo 4

072911_ff7

Cottage and Creek used the color antique white. I really like the subtleness of it.

072911_ff4

So what do you think?! Agh I need help and the tile installer is coming this week!

9 Responses to “grout color dilemma”

1. Samara December 13, 2011 at 7:25 AM #

Just my opinion…I would pick as close to white as possible, maybe just a little off from the white of the subway tiles in order to keep the subway tile classic. We just had marble subway tiles installed and I chose a white that was just a little less bright than the tile itself. It gives it dimension, but it doesn’t take away from the tile. I can’t wait to see it!

Samara

2. claykonnor December 13, 2011 at 7:28 AM #

White is the best aesthetically but it’s a nuisance to keep clean. That’s one of the reasons granite installers put in a 4″ backsplash like you removed. The other is that granite must be sealed with a stone sealer. The edge of your granite (that is now facing the wall) is not sealed. This presents a possible issue. Grout itself has certain oily elements that can leach into your granite and leave permanent stains. Be sure to seal the edge of the granite that you exposed by removing the backsplash. Whatever grout you use, add a sealer to it as well so that it is easier to keep clean.

3. Harper December 13, 2011 at 7:56 AM #

I am diggin’ carrying the wall color to the grout – white sealed or not presents a-potential-toothbrush-cleaning-on-a-regular-basis problem.
    Just sayin’ – unless of course, you have the time…..bahaha. How did the patch work come out?
    anything other than white in my opinion….easy for me to say- it is not mine – Good picking!

4. Mercedes Gilligan December 13, 2011 at 8:31 AM #

I’m also adding white subway tile to my kitchen. I have black granite countertops and oak like color cabinets. The kitchen is 2 years new but just soooo boring and totally lacks style. I never thought about having to pick a grout color. I always assumed white would be best so I think I’ll be going with that. So you and the hubby aren’t installing the tiles yourselves?

• Lizzie Stewart December 13, 2011 at 3:10 PM #

Thanks for the advice! No the hubs won’t be doing this project, he’s installed tile before so I trust him, but he’s been swamped with work and sometimes I just want a project done…like right now! Not over the course of 2 weeks. hahaha he still gets kudos for all the prep work though.

5. Brooke December 13, 2011 at 9:32 AM #

It depends on the look you are going for and what you are drawn to — since you’ll be living with it on the daily🙂

I personally think white on white looks the cleanest, and the most elegant…we have it in our guest bathroom (I’m actually creating a post about this today). I know you said it doesn’t showcase the tile as much, which is true (to an extent), but pictures are a tough-y. It’s much more difficult to see in pictures, so the ones you see of white on white are not the best representation. (I only noticed this while photographing our bathroom). The tiles are much more visible in person than when I took the photos. Hope this helps!

XO,
    B

6. Brooke December 13, 2011 at 11:00 AM #

Just posted my guest bath — which I was explaining above. You can see the pictures here:

The tiles don’t show up too well in photos (this was with my iphone, but I also have a DSLR and same thing happens) but they are very visible in person and the white grout helps them to stay looking clean!🙂

7. Melissa Adler & Virginia Lindstrom December 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM #

I vote white grout. Looks brighter, more modern. I could see you getting really sick of a grey/beige. I just think you will like all white. Do itttttttt

8. Brooke December 14, 2011 at 12:08 PM #

I am not sure of the exact color of the grout – but don’t think you could go wrong with any shade of white.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing more photos!