DIY Sunburst Mirror

26 Sep

One of the many reasons I love Pinterest is finding new DIY projects to tackle. Like this one from Centsational Girl.

Yes, I’m one of the many bloggers DIYing sunburst mirrors. I’m sorry but these are just too much fun to make and not to mention uber cheap.

My husband being a painter I thought it would be most fitting to use paint sticks. Plus I had the added bonus of getting the paint sticks for free. Oh the perks!

What I used:

16 – 5 gallon paint sticks
16 – 1 gallon paint sticks
7″ craft mirror
7″ wood embroidery hoop
11″ square piece of wood
Hot glue gun
Metallic Craft paint

I pretty much followed Centsational Girl’s directions, except doing it a little out of order cause that’s how I roll!

First I did a mock up, just laid it all out!

This is before I trimmed them all, but at least it gave me an idea on how many to paint.

Then I painted all my sticks and embroidery hoop (2 coats), I chose two gold metallic colors.

I spent a couple hours painting on Sunday and I have to say it was pretty relaxing.

The next day, the husband cut the sticks using a chop saw, unfortunately this part was a little out of my league.

I chose to vary the lengths at 9″ and 12″. We also ended up trimming the sides of the square too, because it seemed to show through when I did  my mock up.

Now that everything was painted and cut it was time to start the fun part.

I haven’t used a glue gun since I was probably 10 and wow am I hooked again. Glue guns are bad ass.

So with my trusty glue gun I glued the 7″ mirror to the square wood piece and then glued my embroidery hoop over the mirror.

Once that was set I just started gluing the paint sticks around the mirror. I have to admit there was a little cursing and grunts trying to get the sticks evenly spaced but after some help from the husband I was able to get into the groove of things.

So for less than $20.00 I got this gorgeous sunburst mirror. Can’t beat that!

For my first sunburst mirror I thought it came out pretty good. I’m loving the metallic paint against the wood grain.

So what do you think?

Have you made a sunburst mirror before or do you plan to?

12 Responses to “DIY Sunburst Mirror”

1. Erin F September 26, 2011 at 8:52 AM #

This is so awesome! Your step by step story made me laugh too🙂 I love it.

2. Candice Waldin September 26, 2011 at 9:29 AM #

OMG make me one please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Alana September 26, 2011 at 12:08 PM #

I absolutely love it!! Don’t be surprised if you ever make it over for a visit and see one in our house!

4. David Maddux April 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM #

I stopped by Home Depot yesterday to ask them for 16 5-gallon stir sticks. They looked at me strangely for a second and then just started counting. This shall look awesome in our baby girl’s room. Thx!

5. rosalyn June 1, 2013 at 2:56 PM #

Where did you get the piece of wood from?!

6. buy pinterest followers cheap July 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM #

I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites really
    nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later on. Many thanks

7. buy pinterest followers July 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM #

Hi there, You have done an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
    I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

8. buy pinterest followers July 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM #

Good post. I absolutely appreciate this site. Continue the
    good work!

9. Nicole Flower August 31, 2013 at 1:21 PM #

Hi How big is it overall?

10. abecker12 November 12, 2013 at 8:33 AM #

Reblogged this on Pattern Fanatic.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Stencil Wall Complete! « - September 28, 2011

[…] remember the sunburst mirror I DIY’ed, well I found the perfect place for […]

2. DIY Two-Colored Sunburst Mirror | Shelterness - October 3, 2011

[…] great with each other. If you want to know more details how this sunburst mirror was made visit 346living for full […]