Ceiling Fan Revamp

20 Feb

Happy Sunday!

We finally finished updating our ceiling fan. This project could easily take a day but we decided to span it out over a couple of weeksūüėČ

I hated our ceiling fan…hated! But it was a necessary fixture for our living room since we have no A/C and live in hot Cali.

I really wanted to freshen it up and modernize it as much as I could while spending as little money possible.

My inspiration picture! LOVE.

Supplies I used:

Rustoleum white spray paint in satin – $5.00

White lamp shade from Target – $14.00

Metal washers – $2.00

Two decorative pulls – $8.00

So for about $30 I went from this:

(please excuse the mess, we were painting during this photo)

To this!

So what do you think? I’m not totally in love with the shade, but I figure for 14 bucks I can keep it here until I find a better one!

16 Responses to “Ceiling Fan Revamp”

1. studioten25 February 21, 2011 at 7:52 PM #

It’s fabulous!! I can’t wait to see the finished room. Thank you for the comment on my blog, I’m so happy that I inspired you.
    Abbe
    Studio Ten 25

2. Erin February 23, 2011 at 3:44 PM #

This looks great sissy!

3. Michele March 9, 2011 at 7:35 AM #

This looks great. Look at the blog Dwellers Without Decorators- that room is hers from an old apartment! She actually gave me the source for her lampshade in the comments section once, but I think you did a great job with your target shade!

4. nicole March 13, 2011 at 8:22 AM #

You are one smart,crafty cookie:) I have a question for you please..My fan light fixture has about a 3foot rod(due to very high ceilings). The rod and the fixture(fan blades etc.are a dingy off white color:(We just moved into our new home and are very short on funds right now.I would like to copy your look(if you wouldnt mind?)If so..would I paint the entire fixture in the satin color? Also,I am new at visting blog and would like to know if you will recommend some chic interior decorator bloggers/sites? I would love to find a site to view design boards and where to get the items. If you could help me out..I would be so thankful and “less stressed out”(as – have been the past few weeks;)haha thanks in advance:)Nicole

• Lizzie Stewart March 16, 2011 at 10:36 PM #

Thank you! Super sweet of you!
      I definitely think you should paint your blades a satin color. As far as the rod and fixture I would go with something with a gloss to it.
      But that’s just my personal taste, you could do any sheen you prefer.

On my blog to right I’ve listed all my favorite design blogs, feel free to check them out, they are amazing! and have loads of design ideas.

Good luck! : )

5. Catherine October 17, 2011 at 3:34 PM #

Love this, we have 3 ceiling fans that I don’t want to get rid of but hate the look of. I’ve been keeping my eyes open for shades! Yours looks great!

6. Suz in Florida October 22, 2011 at 6:42 PM #

I had a builder special ceiling fan that was all white with wood grained blades and I hated it, too! I purchased Rust-o-leum spray paint in a hammered bronze, took down the fan and painted the entire thing … except the blades … and now it looks very high end. It helps coordinate with the rest of the house, which has bronze door handles and fixtures. Looks good as new! But I absolutely love the FAN-DELIER!!! Great idea!

7. nicci February 7, 2012 at 8:07 AM #

I LOVE it.. How did you attach it?

8. Elizabeth April 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM #

Is there any way you can post instructions on how you attached the lamp shade? I love this look! So clever!

9. Allana Robinson July 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM #

PLEASE let us know how you attached the shade! I just moved into a house with a ceiling fan in the master bedroom. I hate the look of it, but it is definitely nice to sleep with cool air blowing around the room. Your fan-delier idea would really help update it!

10. michele.Leal August 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM #

How.do.you.install.the.shade?Absolutely.love.it!Great.idea!

11. danielle November 11, 2012 at 6:59 AM #

Love it! The whole room is gorgeous! What color is the wall paint??

12. Sarah Rogers July 3, 2013 at 11:12 AM #

I realize this post was a couple years ago but in event you read this, would you be willing to share with me any more details on how you did this? How did you attach the shade? Would it work with any ceiling fan or does it need to be a certain type? We just moved into a house with some heinous ceiling fans and wanted to update as cost effectively as possible seeing as its our first house. Any more direction is much appreciated and thanks!

13. Jackie September 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM #

Yet another person VERY interested in how you attached the shade to the fixture…

14. Kevin Nguyen June 13, 2015 at 10:56 AM #

you are doing a great job. I love your show and lately your website has been a real help for me. I’m a homeowner with a house Revamp in the Ceiling Fan,

15. Laura April 1, 2016 at 6:04 AM #

Ceiling Fan is the best choice for house that don’t have A/C. Using ceiling fans helps us save money and that make our looks more beautiful than set up an air conditioner.