seeing white

10 Jun

It’s timmmmme!!

We are finally painting the kitchen and I couldn’t be more excited.

Yesterday we got started on removing all the cabinets and hardware.

20130610-084913.jpg

Zoe has been teething big time so naps have been pretty non existent, luckily the husband took care of this task. Having done this a lot he was very thorough and organized. He labeled each cabinet and each hinge so we knew exactly where everything belongs.

20130610-085211.jpg

As the doors came down I started scrubbing them to remove any grease or dirt so we wouldn’t have any problems with the paint adhering.

(I recommend doing this outside as Simple Green is some strong stuff!)

Wow! That was a lot of doors and drawers! 36 to be exact and I have to admit I cleaned about 6 and the husband did the rest. Man is he a work horse.

20130610-085445.jpg

Here they are all loaded up and ready to be dropped off  to the shop to be sprayed.

20130610-090313.jpg

At the end of the day this is what the kitchen looked like.

I was so eager to organize everything, now that it was all out in the open for everyone to see. Yikes!

20130610-090507.jpg

Now if I could only decide on a paint color. Argh! Picking the perfect white is hard.

Originally I decided on Simply White by Benjamin Moore but now I’m second guessing it because I’m worried it might be too bright of white.

Don’t get me wrong I love a bright white but since we aren’t replacing our granite I wouldn’t want the bright white to accentuate the not so pretty granite.
So my other choice was White Dove, but in our kitchen under our lighting it seems a little yellow, almost a little dull. Eww not a fan.

Here is a sample of Simply White next to our granite and new wall color, which is actually just our living room color Revere Pewter 50% (I’m obsessed)

20130610-091327.jpg

What do you think? You likey?

Any of you have a fabulous go to white? I’d love to hear them!

PS sorry for all iPhones photos, its just easier when toting around the babe.

About these ads

12 Responses to “seeing white”

1. Dani June 10, 2013 at 9:45 AM #

How exciting! Its going to look gorgeous!! Where did you take the cabinets to be painted and whom is going to paint the existing wood that is left there (Im not familiar with the prof. painting process, can you tell)? I cant wait to see it done!

• Lizzie Stewart June 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM #

The cabinets will be painted by Stewart Painting in Redwood City, it’s my husbands parents shop. They do amazing high end work!

Most likely my husband will be painting the frames and I’ll help as much as I can. I’m so excited!

2. Mel Pope June 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM #

We did BM Simply White in our dining room and its the perfect crisp white but still has slight warmth to it. I vote Simply White for your cabinets!uh better to have the crispness than the yellow-ish effect!

3. kathy June 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM #

I think you will be thrilled with Simply White. It’s bright and happy yet still warm. I think you are afraid it’s going to be sterile and shocking but I promise it won’t be – it’s beautiful-and will look amazing with your wall color. I think White Dove will disappoint you-if it looks a bit yellow to you now it won’t give you the pop next to your wall color that I think you are looking for. Go with your first answer!

Please tell us where you can take cabinet fronts to be sprayed. I had to paint mine myself (unfortunately) because I love the sprayed look. How did you find a place to do it? Thank you.

• Lizzie Stewart June 10, 2013 at 3:49 PM #

Thanks Kathy! I think you’re right about going with Simply White, I definitely don’t want anything to read too yellow.

The cabinets are being sprayed by Stewart Painting in Redwood City, it’s my husbands parents shop. They do amazing work!

4. made2style June 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM #

Glad to see you pop up on my reader ;) I love that paint sample. Maybe it’s just me but it reads a bit gray on my screen which I once again love! I’ve been known to spend decades trying to find the right color for a space and although its aggrevating I’m always pleased with the result! Can’t wait to see how it all turns out!

5. inmyyellowkitchen June 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM #

I can’t wait to see the finished product! My fiance and I are in the process of buying a house and I LOVE white cabinets. Unfortunately none of the houses we are looking at them have them, so I have been looking for DIY ways to make the switch. Looking forward to the “after” pics as well as any more process pics!

6. Tracy June 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM #

How does your paint sample look next to your tile backsplash? Finding the perfect white is indeed difficult.

Since you live in the Bay Area, did you know that Gray’s Paint carries samples of practically all the Benjamin Moore colors? Finish is eggshell not semigloss though. A 15″x20″ piece of foam core with a couple of coats worked well for me. It tends to warp a bit, but if you use the other side for a different color it warps the opposite way, resulting in a flatter board. I’ve now got quite a collection of sample boards I painted when choosing colors for my home.

I used Simply White in a bathroom and home office, it is a nice crisp white. I felt it was too stark for my living room and dining room; there I had selected Windsbreath for the walls and and chose Mascarpone (a creamy white) for trim/crown moldings.

7. Jenn June 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM #

We used white dove on our kitchen cabinets and they don’t look dull or yellow, but I know every situation is different. We even have a white subway backsplash too and it’s all nice and bright.

8. Holly @Redberrydeals.com July 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM #

Love your kitchen! I know you mentioned in an earlier post that you don’t like your granite. I sure love it! Is it giallo ornamental?

My hubby and I are trying to decide on a granite that works with our dark cabinets because right now we don’t want to paint them yet, maybe stain them to refresh them. We love the option of this granite because it goes so well with white or dark colors too. I think it is the most versatile granite.

9. Kathy October 25, 2013 at 5:59 AM #

I was wondering if your granite is giallo ornamental. We just ordered that and I’m wondering if will look like that. Your kitchen is lovely!

10. kasper custom remodeling September 27, 2014 at 1:12 AM #

We absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of your post’s
    to be what precisely I’m looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content for you?

I wouldn’t mind creating a post or elaborating on many of the subjects
    you write with regards to here. Again, awesome weblog!