the great tile debate

19 Oct

So we’re doing it!

We are taking the plunge and finally installing the backsplash in our kitchen.

Now for the hard part…tile.

I know I definitely want subway tile, but I’m undecided on which material to use.

I did a quick stop at Lowes a grabbed some samples.

1. tumbled marble

2. tiny subway tile

3. polished marble

4. porcelain tile in bisque

combo of tile1

and here’s what our kitchen looks like now

I can’t wait to rip this off!

I was first drawn to #3 the polished marble but I think it might have to much variation and since our granite is already pretty busy I didn’t want it to be over kill.

So my second option was #4 the porcelain subway tile. It’s shiny which I love because it will reflect the light and I think it would modernize the kitchen.

I did some searching as well to find some pictures of kitchens with porcelain subway tile or something similar.

backsplash samples

Desktop2

if only I could paint my cabinets white…

I actually mentioned to Ryan yesterday if he wanted to surprise his wife for Christmas that we could paint the kitchen cabinets white, he would have one happy wifey!

oh how I dream of this one day…

But anyway for now, I’ll stick with what I have.

And now I need your help, which backsplash tile do you vote for?

any or none?

About these ads

14 Responses to “the great tile debate”

1. erin October 19, 2011 at 8:24 AM #

i think you’re right on with #4. i think it will pair really well with the countertops and cabinets. that being said, i think all your options are beautiful!

2. Laura October 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM #

How exciting! Have you thought of doing a honed golden travertine? I have a love for the different tones the stone gives off, and I think it could bring out the colors in your granite. There’s always glass tile too which is gorg…but can get very pricey esp with the smaller cut tile. Perhaps a mosaic glass? Check out http://www.stonepewteraccents.com/SPA_mhp_1x4.html…the travertine and the mosaic glass are my favs :-) Wish we lived closer, cuz I could give you some contacts for designer’s pricing. Goodluck!!!

3. Jennifer Officer October 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM #

Hi there! We did a major kitchen remodel last summer and used the tumbled marble tile (almost like what you show in your example). I have been so happy with it! The gentleman that installed my tile used an epoxy grout and I am so glad we went with that! It is super cleanable and I have had zero issues with mold, mildew or stains. I would be happy to send you some finished pictures if you want. Just an opinion. Blessings on your decision!

4. allana October 19, 2011 at 3:50 PM #

#4.

5. Christina October 19, 2011 at 9:09 PM #

#4 all the way. sleek and modern, and beautiful.

6. Erin F October 20, 2011 at 10:10 AM #

I like #2 best and #3 is my next pick :-)

7. Veronica October 20, 2011 at 11:29 PM #

I like #4. Keep it simple. Like you stated… you already have granite counter tops. Less is more.

8. Melissa Adler & Virginia Lindstrom October 21, 2011 at 12:06 PM #

You already know my vote.. #4! Can’t wait to for you to do this!!

9. Cassie October 24, 2011 at 11:54 AM #

I immediately thought #4 before you even talked it up. It will reflect the light so much better and look really clean.

10. Angie O'Hara October 26, 2011 at 8:25 PM #

Just had my backsplash replaced last week and went with the merola tile lantern that is sold at overstock, home depot & cooltiles websites. It has the shiny finish you are wanting like the traditional subway tile but is modern and would look great with your new stencil work…

11. Annie November 29, 2011 at 3:12 PM #

I hope you haven’t chosen yet….if you haven’t I would suggest a plain white 3×6 subway tile (something off the shelf at lowes or HD) The undertone of your granite is yellow and all those samples undertones are pink. You would like it better if you just did a plain white. your granite is busy no need to add something else that would be busy as well! Hope that helps!

• Lizzie Stewart November 29, 2011 at 10:34 PM #

Thanks for the advice! Funny you wrote this comment because I just got some white subway tile from Lowes and I think we’re going to go with it! Hope to put up pictures soon!

• Annie November 30, 2011 at 1:18 PM #

I guess great minds think alike! :)

12. Rocketgirl January 1, 2014 at 3:20 PM #

I agree with your choice of the solid, shiny porcelain tile. Very clean, polished look.
    Have you thought about picking up a darker hue from your granite and going with a contrasting look instead of white or nearly white? I think it would look really sharp.

Re: white on white kitchen – great for retirement. Not so sure you would love the upkeep til then. Looks clean when not in use, not so clean otherwise.